WASHINGTON TERRACE -- A 39-year-old Washington Terrace man died early Saturday morning following an officer-involved shooting outside his parents' home.

Jeff Foote was brandishing a small handgun, threatening to shoot himself shortly before 1 a.m. Saturday, according to the Weber County Attorney's Office. Weber County Sheriff deputies attempted to reason with Foote for several minutes, a press release from the Weber County Attorney's Office said.

Witnesses said they heard one shot followed by another, after which Foote fell to the ground. Foote was treated at the scene and transported to a nearby hospital where he died of an apparent gunshot wound to the neck, according to the Weber County Attorney's Office.

It appears that Foote fired a shot at a Weber County deputy and a different officer returned fire, officials said.

According to public safety dispatch records, a 911 caller, apparently Foote, called to report he was going to shoot himself. Three Weber County Sheriff's Department deputies and officers from neighboring agencies responded to the call at 110 W. 4600 South.

The officer that fired his weapon is on paid administrative leave pending investigation of the incident.

"Even though it initially appears that the deputy’s actions were legal and justified, we and others await the formal findings of the pending investigations. Despite the current speculation, this event is tragic and our sympathies go out to the Foote family and friends and to those who were involved," the county attorney's statement said.

Foote's body was sent to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office for autopsy.

The Weber County Sheriff’s Office will conduct an internal investigation of the shooting. Meanwhile, the Weber County Attorney’s Office will conduct an independent investigation of the shooting.

Comment on this story

Brenda Welch, who said she was a long-time family friend, told KSL Radio that Foote had spent Friday evening at her home, eating dinner with her family.

Welch said she dropped him off at his parent's home about midnight. "After I dropped him off, I had a bad feeling," she said.

She then telephoned Foote's mother, who went to check on Foote, who had walked out of the home. Police officers were at the home attempting to talk to Foote, Welch said. The shooting occurred a few minutes later.

Welch said Foote had undergone treatment for mental illness in recent years.

Email: marjorie@deseretnews.com